Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You don't have to be homeless to have compassion

I was sitting in the grass as more than 300 high school students and adult leaders filed into the Naperville church. As usual, no one knew that I was to be the featured speaker that day. I received many of the reactions that one gets dressed in clothes that do not match and which are worn and torn. Some laughed; some stared, and did not appear to notice me. Then it happened for the very first time. A teenage girl came and sat in the grass right next to me. She looked at me and asked, "What is your name?" Not, "what are you doing here?" She did not tell me to take off my hat before entering. "What is your name," she asked. I told her my name was Ray. She asked me if I was okay and needed anything. I told her I was fine and was waiting to go inside to give a talk. She smiled. "What are you going to talk about," she asked. I told her that I was asked to come and tell my story. Her face became more serious now and she looked deeply into my eyes for what seemed a long time. "Do you ever feel that people look though you like you're not even there?" What a question! She told me that is how she felt sometimes at this church. Then she changed the subject and asked if I wanted something to drink before my talk. She took me inside and that is when it hit me. Everyone in the church that day was white. She was the only African American in the whole group. I cannot say for sure that is why she was so compassionate. However, it leads one to wonder...Understanding leads to compassion and compassion to action!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your analysis of the crowd pre-speech.. I'm sure the after speech conversations are significantly different.

    ReplyDelete