Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Many would be surprised at who has been homeless

Just last week I was presenting the stories of "Ray". After the presentation, as often happens, several people came to up to me to share their stories with me. One boy, a high school student at an elite Catholic high school, shared how he was dissatisfied with the lack of focus on service and spirituality. "They only care about getting into college. There's no concern for the downtrodden." A girl told me how she had felt like "Ray" by the way others treated her at school. A reporter was there recording impressions and encounters between me and the audience. Once everyone had left, the reporter revealed to me that he had been homeless during his middle school years. In addition, it turned out that this person had sneaked into and slept in the very church where I was giving the presentation. The reporter took me to the staircase that they had slept under so many years ago. He also shared how things turned around, how he had made it to college and was now a reporter for a large city. Everyone has a story and there is hope for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment